The Book of James || Obey the Word || September 25, 2022
- Remember who you are.
- Given (new) birth by giving us His True Word: the Word of God and Jesus.
- You have been told who you are in relation to God throughout His Word. You were told and shown who you are through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
- His prized possession: like the first fruits (what is to come)
- Remember how to act
- Quick to Listen…to the True Word
- Slow to Speak…to the True Word
- We want to correct it and tell it what He is really saying
- Slow to Anger…to the True Word
- We get angry when the True Word doesn’t agree with us.
- The only intent is righteousness
- Get rid of all the filth and evil in your life
- This is what stifles us in receiving, understanding and living the True Word of God.
- Receive the True Word of God
- Receive the Word of God: The Word of God - Jesus
- That is Humbly received
- Meekness: restrained strength
- Don’t fight against it. Don’t rebel against it.
- That is implanted in you (Jeremiah 31:33-34)
- People KNOW what the Word of God says but choose to deny it and fight against it.
- The True Word has the power to save your soul
- Remember to Do the True Word of God
- To hear the Word of God is not the same as doing the Word of God
- You are deceiving yourself (vs. 22, 26)
- There is nothing worse than lying to yourself.
- God blesses you for doing what the Word says
- This is constant throughout the OT
- Jesus says, “If you love me you will obey my commandments.”
- His commandments are the fullness of the Word of God.
- Pure and Genuine Religion (beliefs and practices)
- Caring for the orphans and widows in their distress (trouble, oppression)
- Caring for those in need
- Caring for those without a voice not of their own choosing
- Refusing to let the world corrupt you.
- Without blemish, without defect, spotless
Application and Reflection Questions
- What role should the True Word of God play in our Christian Life?
- Why do so many professing Christians struggle to find time for God’s Word?
- How does our filthiness and evil affect the way we receive the True Word of God?
- How does the True Word of God influence the way you live?
- What are specific areas of your life you need to bring in line with the True Word of God?
- How are we deceiving ourselves when we hear God’s Word but don’t obey it?
- List some areas where you have said you are willing to obey but are not obeying. How will you move forward in those areas?
Time of Response
Take a few minutes of silence. Allow your own thoughts to quiet and be still. Where does the Holy Spirit want you to decrease so that Christ could increase in your life? What part of your life, if reduced, would make more room for you to thrive spiritually?
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHILE READING SCRIPTURE
What does this reveal about God?
What does this reveal about you in relation to God?
What do you need to do about it?
I HAVE A QUESTION
SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS:
On this website's homepage.
Click on the card that says "Let's Talk."
Wednesdays FaceBook Live stream 11:55am - 12:30pm
(On occasion, questions answered following Sunday.)
Worship through Song
How Can I Be Intentional When Reading Scripture?
One Method To Use When Reading Scripture:
The S.O.A.P.S. Method
S.cripture: Write down the Bible passage you will be studying.
O.bservations: Examine the text and write down what you notice and see. Start with the obvious and move to the deeper.
A.pplication: Apply God’s Word to your life in a practical way. What is God saying about Himself, about you and about what He is calling you to?
P.rayer: Respond to God’s Word with your own words.
S.hare: Commit to share what God is showing you with someone else.
How do I talk with God?
One Way to talk with God is to: