Order of Worship
The purpose of this resource is to walk your family, Engage Group, or a few friends through an order of worship in your home. This order of worship features some of the elements we normally have when we gather together as the larger NewSong church.
Pick someone to do the readings or prayers or take turns...the main thing is to participate in and be shaped by actively worshipping together.
Opening Prayer/Call to Worship
Surely God is in this place; and I did not know it.
(read this aloud together)
“For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me; you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.”
Pray this prayer together:
Lord, embolden us to go wherever you call us, to greet whoever you send us, and to do whatever you ask of us, that we might know no fear except that reverence which leads to wisdom. Amen.
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory, forever and ever.
RESPOND BY GIVING
Giving is an act of worship, and right now, giving supports the ways we are recreating ministry for this unique time, and allows us to keep our team and community intact. NewSong exists to make disciples in the every day stuff of life, and that continues when we are unable to meet together in person. Giving is also an expression of faith that the Father will continue to provide for our every need. We encourage you to stop and thank God for all that He has provided for you in this season, and ask Him what you should give.
The Great Commandment
Matthew 22:34–40 (ESV)
34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
Romans 12:1–2 (ESV): 12 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Psalm 46:10–11 (ESV): Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
2 Corinthians 10:4–5 (ESV): For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
Philippians 4:8–9 (ESV): Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Psalm 1:1–3 (ESV): 1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
📖 MESSAGE NOTES 📖
Renew Your Mind - Love Your God
Renew your mind in who God is. Turn away from the world and be transformed through Christ. - Romans 12:1-2
- Be still - Stop!
- Ps. 46:10 - Be still and give Him some space: Stop the noise!
- Reflect and meditate on Him - Who He is: Psalm 1
- Prayer & Meditation
- Self reflection: Being attentive to what we say
- Memorizing Scripture
- Quoting Scripture
- When we give our mind a sabbath - rest - our brain is renewing itself.
- Take Every Thought Captive in Obedience to Christ. This is how we were were created to act. We were to measure everything against the Word of God. Eve didn’t do this at the initial temptation. This is not self help because we are taking the thoughts captive to be obedient to Christ.
- This changes our connection with God from uninvolved and independent to connected to His Word and who He is.
- Knowing His Word is essential through the help of the Holy Spirit.
- This helps us emotionally and physically - how we think and feel.
- This requires healthy circuits in the brain.
- If we allow rogue thoughts to run rampant, we are conditioning ourselves to mentally and emotionally move away from who God is and who we are created to be.
- Think on great things! - Philippians 4:8-9
- Quantum Zeno Effect: when you go over and over something, reading it, thinking about it, writing it down and speaking it, the repeating process allows you to deepen your knowledge and understanding and direct your attention. This allow new nerve cell growth. This causes the brain to fire in different patterns and combinations and changes the brain.
- Your brain becomes what you focus on.
- This is best done in community and through the power of the Holy Spirit.
A Picture of Who we are with a renewed mind.
- Psalm 1:1-3a
Time of Response
Take a few minutes of silence. Allow your own thoughts to quiet and be still. Where does the Holy Spirit want you to decrease so that Christ could increase in your life? What part of your life, if reduced, would make more room for you to thrive spiritually?
QUESTIONS TO ASK WHILE READING SCRIPTURE
What does this reveal about God?
What does this reveal about you in relation to God?
What do you need to do about it?
I HAVE A QUESTION
SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS:
On this website's homepage.
Click on the card that says "Let's Talk."
Wednesdays FaceBook Live stream 11:55am - 12:30pm
(On occasion, questions answered following Sunday.)
Worship through Song
How Can I Be Intentional When Reading Scripture?
One Method To Use When Reading Scripture:
The S.O.A.P.S. Method
S.cripture: Write down the Bible passage you will be studying.
O.bservations: Examine the text and write down what you notice and see. Start with the obvious and move to the deeper.
A.pplication: Apply God’s Word to your life in a practical way. What is God saying about Himself, about you and about what He is calling you to?
P.rayer: Respond to God’s Word with your own words.
S.hare: Commit to share what God is showing you with someone else.
How do I talk with God?
One Way to talk with God is to: