JANUARY 24, 2021
The Great Commandment
Matthew 22:34–40 (ESV)
34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
Romans 12:1–2 (ESV): 12 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Psalm 46:10–11 (ESV): Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
2 Corinthians 10:4–5 (ESV): For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,
Philippians 4:8–9 (ESV): Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Psalm 1:1–3 (ESV): 1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.
📖 MESSAGE NOTES 📖
Renew Your Mind - Love Your God
Renew your mind in who God is. Turn away from the world and be transformed through Christ. - Romans 12:1-2
- Be still - Stop!
- Ps. 46:10 - Be still and give Him some space: Stop the noise!
- Reflect and meditate on Him - Who He is: Psalm 1
- Prayer & Meditation
- Self reflection: Being attentive to what we say
- Memorizing Scripture
- Quoting Scripture
- When we give our mind a sabbath - rest - our brain is renewing itself.
- Take Every Thought Captive in Obedience to Christ. This is how we were were created to act. We were to measure everything against the Word of God. Eve didn’t do this at the initial temptation. This is not self help because we are taking the thoughts captive to be obedient to Christ.
- This changes our connection with God from uninvolved and independent to connected to His Word and who He is.
- Knowing His Word is essential through the help of the Holy Spirit.
- This helps us emotionally and physically - how we think and feel.
- This requires healthy circuits in the brain.
- If we allow rogue thoughts to run rampant, we are conditioning ourselves to mentally and emotionally move away from who God is and who we are created to be.
- Think on great things! - Philippians 4:8-9
- Quantum Zeno Effect: when you go over and over something, reading it, thinking about it, writing it down and speaking it, the repeating process allows you to deepen your knowledge and understanding and direct your attention. This allow new nerve cell growth. This causes the brain to fire in different patterns and combinations and changes the brain.
- Your brain becomes what you focus on.
- This is best done in community and through the power of the Holy Spirit.
A Picture of Who we are with a renewed mind.
- Psalm 1:1-3a