OCTOBER 25, 2020
JOHN 15:1-17 (ESV)
I Am the True Vine
15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants,[a] for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.
I Am the True Vine
Jesus is the True Vine
- Israel was the vine by which life and relationship with God came
- Jesus is saying He is now the true vine
- if there is a true vine, there are false vines
God is the one who nurtures, sustains and cares for the vine.
We are the branches
- In Jesus but not bearing fruit
- In Jesus and bearing fruit
- The Father prunes us to bear more fruit
- Not abiding in Jesus and bearing no fruit
- gathered, thrown into the fire and burned.
So Abide in Jesus, the True Vine
- Stay; Remain in Existence; Keep On; Dwell
- Apart from Him you can do nothing
1. If Jesus is the True vine, what are the false vines?
2. What forms do spiritual fruit take in the life of a believer?
3. What fruit is evident in your life?
4. What should we expect if God’s commitment to our fruit bearing is greater than our commitment to comfort?
5. How might God’s commitment to your fruit bearing change how you respond to different evens in your lives?
6. How do you “abide” - remain in Jesus?